moving website before upgrade to ISA (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing

rpainter -> moving website before upgrade to ISA (29.Aug.2001 7:05:00 PM)

I have read Mr Shinder's book on ISA. I am getting ready to upgrade our NT4/Proxy2 to W2k/ISA. I inherited the system with the Web Site on the proxy server itself. I need to move the Web Site to an internal NT4/IIS4 Server. Can you tell me the procedure for this? I need to do this before upgrading to ISA, and I need to "publish " the Web server/site from NT4/Proxy while preparing for the upgrade. Any help is greatly appreciated!

tshinder -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (30.Aug.2001 7:41:00 AM)

Hi R,

If you're using FrontPage to manage the site, its easy to import sites from another server. If you're using another Web Site manager, they problably have their own methods. Neither of these are ISA Server specific, though.

You should publish the internal site after the Proxy Server has been upgraded. After the upgrade, make sure to review all configuration options and make sure they are working properly.

HTH,
Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

rpainter -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (30.Aug.2001 5:10:00 PM)

Hi Tom. Thanks for your Reply! Our web site was not created with Frontpage, but by a Web Developer that we contracted out to create the site per our direction.I have contacted the people that created our web site, hoping that they will be able to provide some assistance.I'm really pretty green on this whole issue, so I really appreciate your input. Can you elaborate on why you feel that the web site should not be moved untill after we do the upgrade to W2K/ISA ?
(FYI: We are setting up ISA to provide some granular access control for our employees out to the Internet, we also want it to give some Firewall protection, such as Packet Filtering and App Filtering,and Web Proxy caching, if possible. It is a tall order, but it seems that ISA can do all three to a limited degree, at least for our needs, anyway.) thanks Tom.
Russell Painter

tshinder -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (1.Sep.2001 6:09:00 PM)

Hi Russel,

What I said was that you should *Publish* the site after you upgrade. You should *move* the site before you upgrade. So, if that's what you thought you should do, you were right!

After the upgrade, be sure you check your settings. The upgrade from Proxy 2 to ISA Server is definitely not straightforward, so be careful an check that everything went the way you expected it to.

HTH,
Tom

------------------

Get It Here!

rpainter -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (6.Sep.2001 9:35:00 PM)

HiTom,
I have another question for you. In your book you describe a very involved process for upgrading NT4/Proxy2 to W2K/Isa:
page 290) back up proxy cfg, un-install proxy, upgrade to W2K, re-install proxy2, restore proxy cfg, upgrade to ISA.

In the Technet article on ISA server2000, standard edition-installation and deployment, they describe a very simple procees:
page 13) disable proxy services, upgrade to W2k, upgrade to ISA. Can you comment on the difference between your proccess and Technet ? I want to do this right, and I am willing to do the "long version", but is it really neccessary ?
Thanks Tom for your input...
Russell Painter

tshinder -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (7.Sep.2001 6:29:00 PM)

Hi Russel,

That *might* work, but I haven't tested it. I've tested the methods on pages 290 and 291, and they do work. If you use the simpler method you've described, let us know how it works and we'll include it in the next edition of the book!

Thanks!

Tom

------------------

Get It Here!

rpainter -> RE: moving website before upgrade to ISA (7.Sep.2001 7:23:00 PM)

Thanks Tom, After I wrote you , I found another article on the Microsoft download site for Proxy 2 on W2K, and they have the same procedure that you gave, including the msp2wizi.exe which they describe as an upgrade wizard-"hotfix" so I think I'll go with your version, and NOT be the guinea pig on this...I need this to work the first time.....

Russell Painter

Page: [1]