• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

FTP Publishing/VPN ????

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> FTP Publishing/VPN ???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FTP Publishing/VPN ???? - 15.Jul.2003 11:52:00 PM   
Mark Gorman

Okay I have looked at Tom book on ISA 2000
Scoured various internet sites including Microsoft KB with conflicting info.

What I need is for a remote user to be able to log into the sbs server and download and upload files to and from a specified folder on the server via ftp.

Do I use IIS FTP server or some other ftp server software???

If I set up an FTP site do I bind it to the internal nic or the external???

Do I use VPN to make it secure and how do I do it???

I followed various tutorials from so called experts and it all seems suspect!

No methodology or logic whatsoever.
It all seems like suck it and see.

Some books just scratch the surface others are irrelevant. Tom's book is not to clear and just gives me headaches. I know it must be me.

So is there a real expert out there who can give me a complete walkthrough from begining to end explaining it properly and not leave me hanging???

If I don't get an aswer soon I'll become suicidal. Surely it must be easier than this

Many thanks

Mark Gorman
Post #: 1
RE: FTP Publishing/VPN ???? - 16.Jul.2003 4:38:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Mark,

I hate to say it, but none of the experts comment on this because they don't run enterprise groupware and database software on their firewalls, and they certainly *never* run FTP servers with write access on their domain controllers! Arrrg! [Wink]

HTH,
Tom

[ July 16, 2003, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]

(in reply to Mark Gorman)
Post #: 2
RE: FTP Publishing/VPN ???? - 16.Jul.2003 12:29:00 PM   
Mark Gorman

Sorry Tom

No disrespect but I am using Small Business Server 2000. It's hardly an enterprise with 15 workstations....

You're saying not to do this then????
It's almost like saying go buy a $50,000.00 car but don't attempt to drive it just look at it!

What would the point be in purchasing hardware and a Network OS if remote users can't use it ;-))

Hmm obviously ISA server isn't a secure firewall which can protect the network and all this hype is just Microsoft at it's best!

I should have gone down the road of Linux running the server with smooth wall.

That OS and firewall costs pennies and works.
Pity the same can't be said about Microsoft software and OS's.

What was the point in buying your book other than using it as a door stop then?

One very dissapointed user

Mark Gorman

Post #: 3
RE: FTP Publishing/VPN ???? - 16.Jul.2003 2:07:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Mark,

Got to strongly disagree here. You can't install Exchange and SQL on a PIX, NetScreen or any other serious firewall. No security expert who wasn't a salesman or shill for some company hawking software would recommned putting these applications on a *firewall*. ISA Server firewalls are network firewalls, not "host based" firewalls. Host based firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm, etc. are more fitting for an SBS config. But you'll run into the same problem. Check out any firewall Web board or mailing list regarding running application on the firewall, and you'll hear much more strident replies to this issue. Making ISA Server firewall software part of the SBS package is a marketing gimmick, not a security decision, IMHO.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> FTP Publishing/VPN ???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts