Exchange 5.5 woes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing

nealec -> Exchange 5.5 woes (25.May2001 11:01:00 PM)

Configured ISA server and a pile of web publishing rules...all works
Configured the mail wizard.
Setup the internal exchange server to be secure nat by setting default gateway to be isa server and DNS server to be address of dns server at our ISP.
can ping the dns server from the exchange server.
but can't do nslookup or ping names :-(
got 50% of the way when I setup a forwarding dns server on the isa server so now exchange can ping names but still won't send smtp as it says host unreachable (used to say error during network resolution)
does the server publishing wiz create rules to allow the internal server to send smtp mail?

tshinder -> RE: Exchange 5.5 woes (27.May2001 12:00:00 AM)

Hi Neal,

The Server publishing rule creates rules and and client address sets that allow the internal mail server outbound access to SMTP. Make sure SMTP from IIS is not running on the ISA Server. Check the rule by running netstat -na on the ISA Server to be sure that Port 25 is listening.

If you get a message that the host is unreachable, its likely that the machine is no longer configured as a SecureNAT client.

HTH,

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here

nealec -> RE: Exchange 5.5 woes (29.May2001 10:03:00 AM)

sorted it!
two probs..had to create a site and content rule which allowed the mail server outbound access.
but apart from that i'd partly been chasing my tail....because
TIP FOR TOPS
if you make a change in ISA server...wait 10 minutes before you test it...as it seems to take this long to take effect!

tshinder -> RE: Exchange 5.5 woes (31.May2001 9:44:00 AM)

Hi Neal,

Good thinking! I always assume that the default Site and Content Rule is enable, which allows access to all sites and all content unless there is an explicit deny rule in place.

However, if you have disabled the default rule, then you have to create explicit allow rules in order for machines/users to access any particular site or content.

I does sometimes take a while for the machine to update the configuration. One way to speed this up it to restart the service in question.

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here

Page: [1]