• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 12.Jun.2001 2:23:00 PM   
ace

Judging from what you have told me, I may have my ISA server set up incorrectly. My ISP's DNS settings are located on the EXTERNAL card. I have read before that you don't want them there but where else do you place them. I use them for external name resolution.
Also, i loaded the firewall client and everything works now. I want to avoid using the client if I have to, so where should I go from here.

------------------

Ace

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 21
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 12.Jun.2001 3:05:00 PM   
ace

I also found this in Microsoft's documentation: "When you set Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties for the external network adapter, check with your Internet service provider (ISP) for the correct settings. Specifically, you need the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and IP addresses for the DNS servers to be used in DNS name searches."
If that card is supposed to have blank DNS settings, what does this mean?

------------------

Ace

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 22
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 12.Jun.2001 10:14:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

Man, somebody was smoking crack in regards to having blank DNS addresses on your "external" NIC. I also remeber seeing it somewhere and it was probably the same place you saw it. I just can't remember where I read it.

so Ace, is your internet mail working now?

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 23
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 13.Jun.2001 1:48:00 PM   
ace

I finally got everything to work smoothly. One thing I really enjoy it that the only (external) DNS settings that I have on my Exchange box is within the advanced settings of the Default SMTP Virtual Server. i think Microsoft finally did it right (as opposed to 5.5 where I had to make the machine DNS settings point to the external DNS. Anyway, mail goes from exchange, through an internal router, than through ISA. I think it is great. Now the next problem is going to be securely publishing OWA through ISA. From what I have seen, there are even more issues with that. It may never end.

------------------

Ace

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 24
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 13.Jun.2001 9:08:00 PM   
Digitalcandy

Glad to hear it is working smoothly for you.

My Exchange 2000 server is using ISA as the "router" or as Microsoft calls it, "SecureNAT." This is the reason that I needed to configure the Gateway TCP properties of my Exchange box to point to the internal NIC of my ISA. With that said, I needed to create DNS entries in the Virtual SMTP advanced settings to resolve external internet mail names.

No Ace, it will never end. That is why I have a job.

------------------
Ryan

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 25
RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA - 27.Jun.2001 5:52:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by ace:
I also found this in Microsoft's documentation: "When you set Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties for the external network adapter, check with your Internet service provider (ISP) for the correct settings. Specifically, you need the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and IP addresses for the DNS servers to be used in DNS name searches."
If that card is supposed to have blank DNS settings, what does this mean?

Hi Ace,

You can put the external DNS server on the internal or the external NIC. You might get slightly better performance by putting it on the internal NIC, but I've found that from time to time (because of a issue with how Win2k handles the DNS server list) the ISA Server will not be able to find the internal DCs, and then all hell might break loose

Therefore, to avoid this problem, I've gone decided to put the external DNS server on the external NIC. Its not the way things are "supposed" to work, but life didn't turn out the way my Mom said it work either

HTH,
Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here

(in reply to ace)
Post #: 26

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> RE: DNS Query & DNS Zone Transfer through ISA Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts