• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Internal & External DNS Servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Internal & External DNS Servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Internal & External DNS Servers - 7.Jul.2001 8:33:00 AM   
pete208

We host 40 sites so i do primary DNS for those sites and our ISP does the secondary DNS. Do we have to use two DNS servers, one for our internal users and one for external DNS Queries trying to get to the websites?

If so, is the External DNS machine behind ISA? If it is behind ISA, do you leave the DNS records alone and just Publish the server, while binding the IP Address registered with InterNic to the external interface of the ISA box? One last thing, where in the heck is the DNS Forwarders come into play or am i on the wrong track? Please help, this is very painful and confusing.
-Peter A.

Post #: 1
RE: Internal & External DNS Servers - 7.Jul.2001 8:51:00 AM   
I had to do this exact same thing for my setup however mine is much smaller than yours. This is what I -think- you have to do; I'm sure Tom will correct me if I am wrong.

You can put the DNS Server on the ISA machine if you want (thats what I did). If you put it behind, you just publish the server like you would any other server. Make sure TCP and UDP are published. (UDP for lookups, TCP for Zone Transfers) Yes you leave the dns records alone because its resolving names for outside clients. Yes, you bind the external IP of the ISA Server to internic. On the DNS server that serves the internal clients, I turn forwarding on and point it to the server that servers the ourside customers. You could also point it to the DNS server of you ISP as well.

Hope this helps..

-Allistah

What you've posted is what you need to do. It sucks, I know. :-/

(in reply to pete208)
  Post #: 2
RE: Internal & External DNS Servers - 7.Jul.2001 9:18:00 AM   
pete208

quote:
Originally posted by Allistah:
I had to do this exact same thing for my setup however mine is much smaller than yours. This is what I -think- you have to do; I'm sure Tom will correct me if I am wrong.

You can put the DNS Server on the ISA machine if you want (thats what I did). If you put it behind, you just publish the server like you would any other server. Make sure TCP and UDP are published. (UDP for lookups, TCP for Zone Transfers) Yes you leave the dns records alone because its resolving names for outside clients. Yes, you bind the external IP of the ISA Server to internic. On the DNS server that serves the internal clients, I turn forwarding on and point it to the server that servers the ourside customers. You could also point it to the DNS server of you ISP as well.

Hope this helps..

-Allistah

What you've posted is what you need to do. It sucks, I know. :-/

Thank you very much. it sucks you have to do two sets of DNS records.

(in reply to pete208)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Internal & External DNS Servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts