• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 7.Mar.2002 5:41:00 PM   
BigDaddyJ

I have published an FTP server as described in the tutorial at ISAServer.org. I can connect to the server, login, and even change directories, but when I try to do ls, dir, get, or put my session just hangs.

As stated in the article I ran the adsutil.vbs script to disable socket pooling. After I ran the script I re-started msftpsvc and did a netstat -na. My results looked identical to the pre-disabled netstat -ns I ran (port 21 was still listed as listening on IP 0.0.0.0). I then used the Internet Services Manager snap in to force the FTP service to listen only on the servers IP. A netstat -na after that show the port 21 was now only listening on 192.168.1.27. I then disabled the FTP Port Attack Setting and restarted the server. I then created a server publishing rule for the FTP server. I have also tried to do this with a Wed publishing rule and destination set with the same result. I do have a web server published and it is working fine.

My setup
ISA Server
Windows 2000 Server sp2
ISA Server 2000 sp1
Internal IP in the 192.168.1.x range

FTP Server
Windows 2000 Pro sp2
MS FTP service
IP address of 192.168.1.27
Setup as a firewall and secure NAT client

The dialog when I connect to the FTP server from the Internet.
C:\ftp
ftp>open ftp.xxx.com
Connected to ftp.xx.com.
220 lt69 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
User (ftp.xxx.com:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Password:
230 Anonymous user logged in.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

and then it sits there, apparently forever (I actually let it sit like that for 30 minutes before killing the command prompt) This work just fine from an internal client (of course).

Any help on this would be much appreciated,

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 9.Mar.2002 7:35:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi BD,

If you go to ftp.tacteam.net/isaserver you'll see that it is possible to publish an FTP site [Big Grin]

Make sure that you're testing from an EXTERNAL network client. Don't test from behind the ISA Server.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 12.Mar.2002 10:09:00 PM   
BigDaddyJ

Hey Tom,

I have published the server, but it looks like I can only access it using passive mode. I've seen some other discussions on this in the message boards, but not a real definite answer on how to get it to work with port commands. Any ideas? We've decided to tell our user that they need to use WSFTP Pro or enable passive mode in IE, but I have some that like to use the command line client (my self included) and would love to get that working.

Thanks.

BTW

I just tried going to your FTP server with the command line client and it works fine! Any idea what I might have done wrong publishing mine so it only works with passive mode clients?

[ March 12, 2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: BigDaddyJ ]

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 3
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 11.Apr.2002 12:56:00 AM   
cdimodica

I am having the same problem. I have an FTP Server internal, trying to publish it with ISA.
I can use cmd from a DNS server in our DMZ, it works fine. I can also use IE 5.5 for the DNS in our DMZ and login, see folders, and upload files. But the end users can not use ftp with Internet Explorer or a command prompt. The login box is displayed, the correct username and password are entered and then the browser or the command line just hangs.
Info:
FTP SERVER - NT 4.0 SP6 IIS 4.0
ISA - Windows 2000, Firewall Config, SP1 installed
DNS Server in DMZ used as ftp clients - NT 4.0 SP6
External Clients - varies Win95,98 Win2000, Win XP with different versions of IE
The site is ftp://ftp.lodgistics.com the user is matrix\ftptest ( domain\username convention) and there is no password.
When the clients external set Internet Explorer 'Enable folder view for FTP sites' and 'Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)', they could use their browser to access the ftp site.
Is it necessary to set up FTP clients as Passive Mode? Have I missed some config in ISA or maybe configed too much?
Please help before I have to place the site into the DMZ, I really don't want to do that unless I have to.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 24.Apr.2002 11:34:00 PM   
Tom,

Are you affraid to answer this question. I have seen this question posted everywhere but all you say is check my site. What is the answer? What is the link? Show us what you are made of.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
  Post #: 5
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 24.Apr.2002 11:40:00 PM   
jgisler

You need to make sure you have inbound & outbound rules for the FTP. FTP uses 21 & 20 for data. So you would need to Server rules published. I run my ftp on the ISA server so I haven't actually tested it. But I can make anything work through ISA, even when it comes to hosting from behind it.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 25.Apr.2002 2:37:00 AM   
I am having the "exact" same issue. I have published to an FTP server sitting behind ISA. I can log into it but that is all. I have tried PASV and nonPASV. I have tried through the HTTP/FTP bridge setup in Web publishing as well as the straight Server publishing.

If I go through IE it just hangs on Getting Contents of folder. If I go through FlashFXP I get:
Connecting to ftp.doeppel.com
Connected to ftp.doeppel.com Port 21
220 server Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
USER doeppel\administrator
331 Password required for doeppel\administrator.
PASS (hidden)
230-What do you think you are doing trying to hack my server.
230 User doeppel\administrator logged in.
SYST
215 Windows_NT version 5.0
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PORT 4,22,97,133,13,73
200 PORT command successful.
LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

That's it. It just dies there.

Thanks

Dave Doeppel

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
  Post #: 7
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 25.Apr.2002 12:46:00 PM   
cdimodica

Sorry it took so long to reply. I resolved my problem on the next day (April 12). I created inbound and outbound rules for Port 20 and 21 like jgisler states above. It is working fine for me now.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 8
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 25.Apr.2002 4:55:00 PM   
isn't that setup only used if you run FTP on the ISA server itself??

Dave Doeppel

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
  Post #: 9
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 25.Apr.2002 7:52:00 PM   
One other note, I can access my FTP server from a machine on the internet that is NOT behind another ISA box. So the only difficulty I have is accessing it from a client that is also behind an ISA server. That same client can access other FTP sites no problem. I'm at a loss.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
  Post #: 10
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 25.Apr.2002 8:29:00 PM   
I resolved the issue by upgrading both ISA servers to SP1. Now I have no issues.

Dave Doeppel

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
  Post #: 11
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 27.Apr.2002 4:31:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Lance,

I'm not afraid, but its hard to monitor all 30,000 posts on these boards [Razz]

I also don't have an answer to the problem. All I do is publish the FTP Server and it works as advertised.

Dave does mention an important point. You must have SP1 installed. MS does not support pre-SP1 boxes and neither do I [Big Grin]

HTH,
Tom

quote:
Originally posted by <Lance>:
Tom,

Are you affraid to answer this question. I have seen this question posted everywhere but all you say is check my site. What is the answer? What is the link? Show us what you are made of.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 12
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 29.Apr.2002 1:03:00 AM   
randolph53

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi Lance,

I'm not afraid, but its hard to monitor all 30,000 posts on these boards [Razz]

I also don't have an answer to the problem. All I do is publish the FTP Server and it works as advertised.

Dave does mention an important point. You must have SP1 installed. MS does not support pre-SP1 boxes and neither do I [Big Grin]

HTH,
Tom

quote:
Originally posted by <Lance>:
Tom,

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 13
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 3.May2002 10:37:00 PM   
rogersb

Same issue here...dies on LS command.

However it only seems to happen to certain people. Others can FTP in just fine.

Upgraded to SP1, created the Inbound and outbound rules for 20/21, and it still fails to work properly for all users logging in.

I created a test filter to allow all traffic in and out..and it works fine.

However obviously I cannot keep this filter enabled.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 14
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 4.May2002 7:00:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Rogers,

Could it be a problem with the Firewall on their side? They should be able to use PASV if PORT doesn't work for them.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 15
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 6.May2002 3:18:00 PM   
rogersb

I had originally thought that...this is until we just recently got ANOTHER call from a completely different customer with the same problem.

This customer had no problems accessing the FTP site for the past few months until recently ~read friday~.

It now seems as of this morning...noone can FTP straight to the IP addresses anymore.

For example if you try to FTP to 10.10.10.1

It returns the message:

> ftp: connect :Unknown error number

But when you FTP to the DNS name FTP.ftp.com ~which resolves to 10.10.10.1~ it connects just fine.

Needless to say..this has become a HUGE problem.

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 16
RE: Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put - 8.May2002 9:35:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Brian,

Are you using Web Publishing rules to publish the FTP site?

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to BigDaddyJ)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Can connect to FTP, but can't ls get or put Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts