• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA and NLB (WLBS)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> ISA and NLB (WLBS) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA and NLB (WLBS) - 28.Mar.2002 1:40:00 PM   
aza

All,

I have 2 ISA in the same array. How can I use NLB to load balance 2 SMTP server inside my network. Should I do:

a) Install NLB on the EXTERNAL interface of the ISA Array?
b) Install NLB on the SMTP interface of both servers?
c) Install NLB on the INTERNAL interface of the ISA Array?
d) "[Confused]"

Also, would you use NLB on the INTERNAL interfaces of the ISA Array so that only ONE default gateway is available to my network users or should I distribute the load manually?

What about the servers published? What if I publish from the same server one application on the first array member and then a second application on the second array member? What would be my default gateway of this server then????

Is there anyone out there that actually was able to make NLB and ISA Array a possibility or is this just some marketing stuff from Microsoft?

Thanks !
"[Smile]"
Post #: 1
RE: ISA and NLB (WLBS) - 28.Mar.2002 4:30:00 PM   
jmunyan

I have had issues with NLBS, as in I haven't gotten it to work for me in the past. From your post it looks like you want to split incoming, outgoing traffic between 2 smtp hosts. Would creating two mx records with = affinity give you what you are looking for? I would think this is the easiest way to split the load up equally. Let DNS do the load balancing...if one host goes down the requesting host should failover to the second server within 5 seconds if I remember correctly...just publish both servers as smtp hosts and let dns sort out the rest..

If you are trying to provide a wrapper for ISA you might consider a hardware loadbalancer. That is my preference for mulitple isa boxes. The information I have read indicates you can wrap one side of isa but not both with NLBS so if you are after a true wraper I think a hardware solution would be required. Either that or maybe that 3rdparty software wrapper...

John

(in reply to aza)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA and NLB (WLBS) - 29.Mar.2002 9:18:00 AM   
jinkostas

We have also here 2 ISA Servers and behind them we have bublished 2Mail Servers with a SAN(Storage Area Network) and web servers of course..
We are not using NLB but we are using ROUND ROBIN on the DNS Server and we can say that we have ballanced the traffic between the 2 ISA Servers... [Smile]

The nlb i have managed to workit outside the ISA with success not behind it...

(in reply to aza)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> ISA and NLB (WLBS) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts