• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting SMTP Authentication, part 1

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting SMTP Authentication, part 1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting SMTP... - 12.Jan.2003 7:20:00 AM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussion on the Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting SMTP Authentication, part 1 article at http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/smtpauth1.html

Thanks!
Tom

[ January 12, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting ... - 13.Jan.2003 10:17:00 PM   
skipster

Hey Dr. Shinder thanks for doing the article on this. I just got done reading part one, and i have a question. I installed FP1, and i entered in the AUTH command and made it 500. I have an internal Exchagne serevr, that i published using the secure mail wizard. Users can connect to excahgne either with a pop3 client, or a MAPI client. I have also enabled RPC, and it works great for everyone, anyways my question is i edited the SMTP filter to block attachments for a specific name and the specific extension. I wanted to test this out so i email myself from a pop3 account, and atached the file, to see if the filter would block it, but it did not it let it through. So will i find out why in part 2?, or am i missing something here?

Thanks again

Skip

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting ... - 13.Jan.2003 11:05:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Skip,

If you're using a SMTP client to send the SMTP messages through the ISA Server into your SMTP relay, then the SMTP filter together with the SMTP Message Screener on the Relay should have carried out the configuration you did on the SMTP filter dialog box.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting ... - 13.Jan.2003 11:58:00 PM   
skipster

I did not configure the message screener, or a SMTP server, i was thinking that the SMTP filter on ISA could work without having to set these up. I guess i was confused. If i set up an internal SMTP VS, and i configure the message screener on the SMTP VS, i should still be able to use RPC for my MAPI clients right? all i really want to use the message screen for is to block crap mail, and some attachments. Should i install the message screener on the VS?

thanks again
Skip

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting ... - 14.Jan.2003 12:35:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Skip,

Yes, you need to install the Message Screener to use keywords and domain names to block spam. This won't have any effect on your MAPI clients, since the don't use SMTP to send messages to the Exchange Server.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting ... - 14.Jan.2003 12:43:00 AM   
skipster

Great thanks again for the help. I cant tell you how much this site has helped me use ISA.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Discussion for Publishing SMTP Servers: Supporting SMTP Authentication, part 1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts