• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Beginner Security Question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Beginner Security Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginner Security Question - 9.Feb.2003 12:24:00 AM   
xanadumoon

Hello,

I have some servers working on my system such as web, ftp, pop, smtp. When an intruder scans my IP adress, I want those servers to be safe and do not appear at the scanner program. For this reason I have installed ISA Server, configured a Protocol Rule that allows only http, and at the Publishing section I've defined a rule for each of my servers. But when I scan my IP adress, those servers' ports appear clearly, they are not hided. As I said when scanned I don't want those ports to appear at the scanner software. So
which configurations do I have to do at ISA server?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Beginner Security Question - 9.Feb.2003 12:58:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi X,

How would external network clients connect to published services if they didn't show as available?

If you did not publish these services and they show up on a scan, then make sure that packet filtering is enabled.

HTH,
Tom

[ February 09, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]

(in reply to xanadumoon)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginner Security Question - 9.Feb.2003 1:21:00 PM   
xanadumoon

Hello,

>and at the Publishing section I've defined a >rule for each of my servers.

As this quote from my message shows, I've published those sevices.

But if we forget all these, and think that I'm a complete beginner to ISA, can you plase tell me what are the things to secure my servers?

Thanks

(in reply to xanadumoon)
Post #: 3
RE: Beginner Security Question - 9.Feb.2003 9:50:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi X,

Check out:

ISA Server Security Checklist - Part 1: Securing the Operating System and the Interface.
Date - Feb 05, 2002 Section - Tutorials :: Configuration - Security
ISA Server is all about security. ISA is about securing network access into and out of the internal network. But after youĂve done all of your configuring, how do you know that youĂve done an adequate job of securing the internal network and the system that ISA Server is running on?

ISA Server Security Checklist - Part 2 Securing the ISA Server Configuration.
Date - Feb 05, 2002 Section - Tutorials :: Configuration - Security
In part one of our ISA Server Security checklist series, we talked about how to secure the operating system and network interfaces on the ISA Server. In part 2 we'll focus on ISA Server specific configuration issues that you can use to optimize security.

Over at www.isaserver.org/shinder

HTH,
Tom

[ February 09, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]

(in reply to xanadumoon)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Beginner Security Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts