Reverse DNS different port? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing

cybersmith -> Reverse DNS different port? (7.Apr.2004 5:15:00 PM)

simple and probably stupid question... but does reverse DNS have it's own port? I know DNS goes off of UPD 53, so does RDNS do the same?

spouseele -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (7.Apr.2004 8:02:00 PM)

Hi Mr. Fix It,

DNS uses UDP port 53 and TCP port 53. At the transport level, no difference is made between forward and reverse DNS lookups.

HTH,
Stefaan

cybersmith -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (7.Apr.2004 9:52:00 PM)

Thanks for the reply. That's all I wanted to know. Some of our mail is not being received by other mail servers because they claim the cannot do a reverse lookup of our domain, yet I have tested this successfully. [Confused]

spouseele -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (8.Apr.2004 8:39:00 PM)

Hi Mr. Fix It,

just make sure you published your DNS server twice, once with UDP port 53 and once with TCP port 53.

HTH,
Stefaan

cybersmith -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (12.Apr.2004 4:23:00 PM)

Isn't TCP port 53 for DNS Zone Transfers? Why would I want to enable that to people outside of my firewall?

spouseele -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (12.Apr.2004 4:53:00 PM)

Hi Mr. Fix It,

DNS Query uses by default the UDP protocol. This is used for normal queries. However, if a response can't fit into one single UDP packet - take note that the maximum payload is 512 bytes as defined by RFC1035 - the resolver must switch to the TCP protocol. Because this will always be the case for zone transfers, that terminology is used in ISA server.

Keep in mind that this is *not* the only case the TCP protocol will be used. This happens also very often with an MX record lookup. Moreover, I believe that the SMTP implementations by Microsoft (IIS and Exchange) always try to do the MX record lookups with the TCP protocol first.

HTH,
Stefaan

Olinelooo -> RE: Reverse DNS different port? (23.Apr.2016 12:41:32 AM)

That's all I wanted to know. Some of our mail is not being received by other mail servers because they claim the cannot do a reverse lookup of our domain,????

Ali

Page: [1]