• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for firewall client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for firewall client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for firew... - 26.Jun.2002 10:04:00 AM   
aguenena

How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for firewall client?

I have enabled FTP traffic in ISA Server, anything else has to be done??
Post #: 1
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 26.Jun.2002 11:51:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Amr,

if I remember well, the McAfee AutoUpdate runs with the credentials of the local system account on the client. You can check this out in the firewall logging on ISA. So, if you have user/group based access control, this request will probably not be allowed by ISA.

I remember vaguely a possible workaround, but I have forgotten the exact details. It has something to do with modifying the Wspcfg.ini on ISA for the McAfee AutoUpdate application and add the key ForceCredentials=1. Check out http://www.isaserver.org/pages/articles.asp?art=60 how to do that.

HTH,
Stefaan

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 2
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 2.Jul.2002 3:36:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Stefaan,

I don't use McAfee, but with Norton the update is don't via a scheduled task. All I needed to do is change the account running the scheduled task and the automatic update worked great!

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 3
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 2.Jul.2002 10:33:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Tom,

thanks for the tip, but the AutoUpdate function of McAfee doesn't use a regular scheduled task. In other words, you cann't set the account. [Frown]

Thanks,
Stefaan

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 4
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 3.Jul.2002 8:20:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Stefaan,

Do you know the protocol used by the update service? Is it HTTP? Maybe we could configure a Direct Access entry and allow the client to bypass the Web Proxy service that way.

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 5
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 4.Jul.2002 12:16:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi Tom,

the McAfee AutoUpdate can use a local path, a UNC path and a FTP site. By default the NAI FTP site is used. So, if you allow all clients access to the FTP protocol (no user/group authentication) then it works fine. But that means that all those clients can use the FTP protocol for all sites they have access to. Yes, a known limitation of the current ISA! [Razz]

There are better solutions available from McAfee, but they require extra software and... money! A possible workaround could be to schedule a custom FTP download and place the files on a share in the internal network. The McAfee AutoUpdate can then pull the updates from this share (UNC path). Moreover, this would decrease the external traffic because the updates must only be pulled once from the NAI site for all the internal clients.

Cheers,
Stefaan

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 6
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 4.Jul.2002 5:34:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Stefaan,

Thanks! A lot of people have asked about McAfee and how to get the Autoupdate to work. Since I've never used McAfee, it was hard for me to understand what the problem is.

I think you're solution is ideal! You could configure a server on the internal network to have access to FTP using a client address set, and then configure the McAffe client computers on the network to use a UNC path. It would reduce Internet traffic quite a bit.

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 7
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 15.Jul.2002 10:58:00 PM   
rhaslam

when you installed the product what account did you use. Iset it to a domain account and have had no problems updating our 250+ machines. On our servers I had to direct it thru the ISA server by giving it the internal ip address of the ISA server and the updates worked. I am alos using ePolicy and it is doing the updates as well thru the ISA server with no errors so far.

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 8
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 16.Jul.2002 12:01:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi rhaslam,

correct me if I'm wrong, but is ePolicy not an addon product to the naked McAfee VirusScan? I was talking about the Auto Update feature in the naked McAfee VirusScan.

However, you are right about ePolicy. Installing an ePolicy Orchestrator server on your internal network and EPO clients on the pc's solves that problem too. The ePolicy server gets the updates from NAI and they are then pushed from the ePolicy server to the clients.

Thanks,
Stefaan

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 9
RE: How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for f... - 19.Jul.2002 2:38:00 AM   
romualpiecyk@hotmail.com

I had the same problem and I solved it the following way:

Under the HTTP Redirector Filter properties, I had it set to "Redirect To Local Web Proxy Service".

I change it to "Send To Requested Web Server" and it worked like a charm.

(in reply to aguenena)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> How can I enable Mcaffee Antivirus AutoUpdate for firewall client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts