• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installation Problem Firewall Client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Installation Problem Firewall Client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installation Problem Firewall Client - 8.Aug.2002 10:28:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Dear All,

On attempting to install the Microsoft Firewall Client. I get the following error,

"failed to copy c:\program files\microsoft firewall client\internal_setup\setup_a.ini to c:\program files\microsoft firewall client\setup.ini internal error : 0x2".

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and get the same. I have also tried removing all corresponding registry keys and installing to a different directory and still get the same.

Help, any ideas would be gratefully accepted,

Thanks,

Laurence.
Post #: 1
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 8.Aug.2002 4:55:00 PM   
nhaajuice

You ARE installing the client from \\isa\mspclnt\setup.exe arn't you? (A share auto-created on the ISA server by the ISA server setup). How could you be installing it to a different directory? I did not know this was possible.

Also make sure that the user you are currently logged in as has admin rights on the local computer!

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 2
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 8.Aug.2002 5:03:00 PM   
LaurenceH

Hi,

I am attempting to install the Firewall client direct from the ISA server installation CD and not from a share on the ISA server. The reason being is that I have removed the Microsoft Networking option on both the internal and external interfaces therefore I will not be able to connect as I would normally through a share. My plan being to use the *.MSI package and to utilise the Group Policy option on Windows 2000 to distribute the client to all users. I am also logged in with local admin rights as well as being a member of domain admins. I hope this helps

Thanks,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 3
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 20.Aug.2002 10:15:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Dear All,

I have since found out my mistake. I was thinking that I could use a group policy on the PDC and use the Windows Installer Package to distribute on the network. I have now found out that the firewall client should be installed from the original share \\isaserver\mspclnt or via IIS,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 4
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 20.Aug.2002 10:19:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Dear All,

I have since found out my mistake. I was thinking that I could use a group policy on the PDC and use the Windows Installer Package to distribute on the network. I have now found out that the firewall client should be installed from the original share \\isaserver\mspclnt or via IIS,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 5
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 21.Aug.2002 8:37:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Laurance,

Yes! Use Win2k Group Policy Software distribution to assign the software to computers.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 6
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 21.Aug.2002 9:25:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Tom,

I have since managed to use the group policy to distribute the Firewall client successfully. When I tried to install the client before, it was straight from the ISA Server installation CD when I got the initial error. After copying the "Clients" directory from the ISA Server to the PDC and setting up a group policy this worked o.k. When I initially set the ISA Server an automatic share was created for the client, my only conclusion from this is that one of the intial configuration files is altered. Can you put my mind at ease,

Thanks,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 7
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 21.Aug.2002 6:55:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Laurence,

You don't need to move the mspclnt share, just point Win2k Group Policy to the .msi file on the ISA Server. Make sure you make your configuration changes on the ISA Server first, before you copy the files to the other server.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 8
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 12:20:00 AM   
haytham

Hello, when i try to download the client from a CD
i get:
"failed to copy c:\program files\microsoft firewall client\internal_setup\setup_a.ini to c:\program files\microsoft firewall client\setup.ini internal error : 0x2".

now i m not the Admin of the network i m just a normal client! how can i make the Firewall to be installed on my PC.
PS: (Dont tell me to go and ask the network admin)

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 9
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 9:20:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Tom,

Originally I had the automatic share, but since have disabled "Microsoft Networking" & "File & Print Sharing" on both the internal and external interfaces. Although I have tried to reenable these services to install the client originally, I cannot seem to get the ISA Server back on my network, the reasoning behind moving the share. Do you recommend disabling the above services on the internal interface or is it o.k to leave them ?

Many Thanks,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 10
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 9:33:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Haytham,

I think the problem you may be experiencing is that there are two configuration files mspclnt.ini and msplat.txt which are created on the following share \\isaserver\mspclnt that contain information about the ISA Server. This information is determined by the "Client Configuration" node on the ISA Server. I am not sure that it is possible to install direct from the installation CD and that it has to be installed via the share, IIS or assigned by group policy. I hope this helps,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 11
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 9:52:00 AM   
haytham

so i HAVE to get it from the ISA server from the shared folder!

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 12
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 9:53:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Haytham,

Try installing from the server share and let me know how you get on.

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 13
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 22.Aug.2002 10:30:00 AM   
haytham

I ll do that!
thanks

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 14
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 24.Aug.2002 8:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Laurence,

We're you able to get it working?

Thanks!

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:
Haytham,

I think the problem you may be experiencing is that there are two configuration files mspclnt.ini and msplat.txt which are created on the following share \\isaserver\mspclnt that contain information about the ISA Server. This information is determined by the "Client Configuration" node on the ISA Server. I am not sure that it is possible to install direct from the installation CD and that it has to be installed via the share, IIS or assigned by group policy. I hope this helps,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 15
RE: Installation Problem Firewall Client - 27.Aug.2002 9:37:00 AM   
LaurenceH

Tom,

I have it sort of working, but not ideal as because the Firewall client software is not located at the default share \\isaserver\mspclnt then if there is an alteration to the configuration of the Firewall clients via the management console, then new p.c's that need to have the firewall client installed, will not install until I manually copy the new configuration files from the relevant folder on the ISA server to the new location on another server.

Thanks,

Laurence.

(in reply to LaurenceH)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Installation Problem Firewall Client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts