• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 5:04:00 PM   
ecarter@ves.org

We too are experiencing this issue. I have an email dialogue open with MSN, but thus far have been told to update my version of MSN Messenger to the latest build, check my IE security settings, etc. Will keep everyone informed if I hear anything back that might be of value to the list. I have stressed repeatedly to MSN that this issue seems to be affecting ISA and firewall users only. I can connect with no problem outside my network, via dialup, without a firewall.

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 21
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 5:21:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

I haven't been affected by the issue because we don't allow IM'er to the Internet on any of your networks for security reasons.

However, this is a problem that a lot of people have been reporting. I don't know what's causing it, but it may be an authentication issue.

Try this:

Configure the clients as Firewall clients. Since Messenger only runs on Windows OS's that support the Firewall client, this should not be a problem. Then configure the HTTP Redirector to forward requests directly to the server on the Internet. Make sure the Messengers are not configured to use the Web Proxy service. Some versions of Messenger ignore this setting and use spyware methods to detect and use the Web Proxy settings on the browser. I've mentioned this before and I think its very poor form for the Messenger to grab the browser settings even when you've explicitly configured it to not use a Web Proxy.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 22
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 5:48:00 PM   
jalbritton

whoo hoo i have a solution that works for us anyway

try removing msn messenger 5.0 from your system
then reinstall 4.7

its worked on every workstation i have tried

Jody

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 23
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 5:56:00 PM   
jalbritton

http://messenger.microsoft.com/default.asp?client=0

you need windows messenger for xp
not msn messenger

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 24
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 7:30:00 PM   
Doc

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Some versions of Messenger ignore this setting and use spyware methods to detect and use the Web Proxy settings on the browser.

thats exactly what msnm is doing, strange thing is it only just started doing so without any changes to the isa or client...

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 25
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 8:41:00 PM   
Alvin

In an absolutelly weird manner our MSN Messengers started to work fine again. I only told users to close it from the tray icon and start session again. Everyone is connecting fine right now and no more 'could not deliver' messagees at all.
Will MS pay to all of us our psycho's bill?
Cheers, Alvin

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 26
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 8:46:00 PM   
ecarter@ves.org

Jodi - where were you able to download 4.7 from in order to go back a version?

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 27
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 9:07:00 PM   
ecarter@ves.org

Found version 4.7 on Oldversions.com, but get same error message as with 5.0. Still not able to connect.

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 28
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 20.Nov.2002 10:21:00 PM   
Alvin

I've still haven't figured out what is causing this problem; but surelly it started when some clientes insttalled the new rellease 5.0. Everything was working fine before so. I guess the problem is co-existence of some 4.x and 5.0 behind the same ISA server as it seems to treat them in a different manner; 5.0 tries to use http proxy as pointed before but 4.x doesn't unless connections settings state so; it doesn't sound reasonably at all.. but i've just experienced that. I'm afraid i have no time enough for 'lab testings' at work, but it should be interesting to put same version in all clients with same firewall client version (someone can have installed wspclnt from MSPxy2.0) and check that everything will work fine that way.
Cheers, Alvaro.

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 29
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 9:53:00 AM   
rajaedward

Hi Guys,

Finally it started working again without any changes in my ISA and IE. I have configured IE proxy setting and it's working fine now. I don't know what happened on the backround.... [Roll Eyes] .

Thanks & Regards,
Raja.E

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 30
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 2:20:00 PM   
SyCo2

Hi,

Here too it started working again using Firewall client as we always did. I don't know what MS did on the backround... but they were really kind to let us know <insert sarcasm here> ! [Wink]

thank you all

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 31
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 4:02:00 PM   
Alvin

Great! I'ts working fine.... but we've noticed a long delay on messages delivering here and sometimes users get suddenly disconnected.
Anyone experiencing that symptoms right now?
Cheers, Alvin

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 32
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 4:57:00 PM   
ecarter@ves.org

It's back up for us as well, with no changes at our end whatsoever. Status appears normal, no delay or dropped message issues as yet.

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 33
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 5:07:00 PM   
Alvin

Another observation: sometimes i'm chatting fine with a colleague in US, and when trying to talk to someone in Europe i lose some packets with the one in Europe; it makes me wonder if the problem is in MSN server's pool communications. Web page .NET status doesn't show any problem with the service...
Cheers, Alvin

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 34
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 7:26:00 PM   
ddaley

hahahaha Microsoft is playing with our minds, im telling you ...

Yep.. Couple days ago, people were able to connect again but not send any messages.. nothing would really go through..

then .. some messages would go through

now .. everything is 100%

Got 1 person on MSN 5 .. Another on MSN 4.6 and me on Trillian ..

It's a conspiracy, im telling you!

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 35
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 7:31:00 PM   
mbragen

quote:
Originally posted by AdminISA:
Oh my GOD, and i'm banging my head since morning into my isa server [Mad] . This is silly, i even removed all my definitions/protocol rules, thinking that i may have done something silly into it [Confused] .

Can anybody have the reason for this. On Saturday we did got connected, but the connections were very erratic. But today, we just couldn't and everybody in my office was cursing me [Razz] .

What is the way out.

Is anybody using Yahoo messenger, I'm unable to connect Yahoo messenger also behind ISA server. I have tried all settings in yahoo, with/without proxy/direct connection/ etc. HTTP redirector with behind firewall option as well as direct to web also. but nothing worked, even opened its favourite 5050 port in protocols, MSP client is installed on my machine and no default gateway is defined in network properties. What could be the reason.

Thanks in Advance

Ajmal

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 36
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 21.Nov.2002 7:41:00 PM   
mbragen

[Hi Ajmal -
We've had mixed success with Yahoo messenger behind the firewall. Yahoo customer services says: In order to use Yahoo Chat's webcam feature, your firewall must permit outgoing TCP connections to webcam.yahoo.com on port 5100. If you use a proxy server to conect to the Internet, you will not be able to use the webcam feature.

So... currently we have text messaging enabled and working. Webcam and voice do NOT work. I would appreciate any advice I can get on how to enable these as they say. Thanks and good luck!

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 37
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 23.Nov.2002 12:04:00 AM   
jalbritton

I have the offical response from microsoft on this issue. MSN Messenger 5.0 upon installation highjacks all messenger traffic. When you have an allow rule for domains msn could not do a reverse lookup, so they have created the reverse look up zones that allow this now. They did tell me that msn messenger was not supported by them.
windows messenger 4.7 is what everyone should be running.

Hope this helps
Jody Albritton

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 38
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 23.Nov.2002 6:03:00 AM   
rajaedward

Hi Jal,

Finally you came with the reason for this problem. Thanks for the update. Thanks all guys.

Regards,
Raja.E

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 39
RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly - 23.Nov.2002 2:01:00 PM   
theonlyone

hi
i have never got this problem i have been using Isa Server for 6 months . well i donno why u guys r using securenat for msn messenger . why don't u use socks 4 for it. i have been using this i i have'nt heard an error about this on my network!

(in reply to rajaedward)
Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> RE: MSN Messenger Problem suddenly Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts