• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Proxy client vs. Firewall Client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Proxy client vs. Firewall Client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proxy client vs. Firewall Client - 24.Jan.2003 11:32:00 PM   
jedwards

I've tried using the Winsock Proxy client (from Proxy Server 2.0) to connect to my ISA server and it seems to be working well. Doing a manual update succesfully updated the msplat.txt and mspclnt.ini files.

I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to using the Proxy client instead of the Firewall client (any additional functionality through the firewall client).

If not, I've got a number of machines running proxy client that I would rather just update to point to the ISA instead of re-installing the client software.

Thanks for any insight.
Post #: 1
RE: Proxy client vs. Firewall Client - 25.Jan.2003 12:36:00 AM   
Jared

Hey there James,

I haven't found any disadvantages to using ISA's Proxy service. I think that one really good thing is that by using the Proxy saves on bandwidth - especially when your user's come in at 8:00am and log onto the Edmonton Sun's homepage to get the news..... Scheduled Content Downloads .... excellent tool....

Using the FWC is also a good thing, one advantage is that you can use the FWC to configure the proxy settings in IE for your clients.... [Wink] and since there is an MSI file for the FWC, you can install the FWC on all your client computers via Group Policy (if you are using Active Directory)....

Here is a couple of thoughts... I hope this is the kind of insight you were looking for!

Have a good weekend!

Jared

[ January 25, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Jared ]

(in reply to jedwards)
Post #: 2
RE: Proxy client vs. Firewall Client - 25.Jan.2003 7:58:00 PM   
jedwards

Thank for the reply Jared. I think my initial post might not have been clear though.

I wasn't referring to the difference between using Web proxy clients and using Firewall clients, I was referring to the difference between using Firewall Clients (with the native ISA firewall client software)and using Firewall Clients (with Winsock Proxy client software from Proxy Server 2.0).

If anyone else has reading this done a Proxy 2.0 to ISA 2000 migration maybe they have come across this question. Again, uninstalling the Proxy Client 2.0 software and re-installing the ISA Firewall Client software seems pointless if the two are functionally the same.

(in reply to jedwards)
Post #: 3
RE: Proxy client vs. Firewall Client - 26.Jan.2003 3:18:00 AM   
Jared

Sorry about that.... I misunderstood your post.... oh well... if I find resources related more directly, I will post for you....

Later

Jared

(in reply to jedwards)
Post #: 4
RE: Proxy client vs. Firewall Client - 27.Jan.2003 3:44:00 AM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

What I do is leave the Winsock proxy client in place. If the client machine has problems, then I uninstall it and install the Firewall client.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to jedwards)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Proxy client vs. Firewall Client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts