FTP Access using FW Client (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client

Liteswitch -> FTP Access using FW Client (19.Apr.2003 12:31:00 PM)

good morning all,

How do I cofnigure ISA so that it allows FTP traffic from firewall clients to external FTP Servers so that they can upload and download form them? I've tried numerous things, and haven't had any luck..

Thanks

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (19.Apr.2003 1:21:00 PM)

Hi Liteswitch,

just make sure the FTP application filter is enabled en that the FTP protocol is allowed in a protocol rule. For more info, check out http://www.isaserver.org/articles/How_the_FTP_protocol_Challenges_Firewall_Security.html .

HTH,
Stefaan

Liteswitch -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (19.Apr.2003 3:58:00 PM)

Do you mean create a protocol rule using the FTP protocol definition? Do I need to create a FTP Packet filter or do anything else as well?

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (19.Apr.2003 4:25:00 PM)

Hi Liteswitch,

you don't need to create packet filters. In fact, protocol and site&content rules will create the necessary packet filters *dynamically* when needed.

So, check out that in the ISA mmc, node Extension -> Application Filter, the FTP Access Filter is enabled. Then go to node Access Policy -> Protocol Rules and make sure there is an Allow Protocol Rule for which the FTP protocol is enabled in the Protocol tab.

HTH,
Stefaan

shanes -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.Apr.2003 11:10:00 PM)

Does this also apply tp passive mode ftp?

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.Apr.2003 11:34:00 PM)

Hi Shane,

yes! The FTP application filter supports active and passive mode FTP.

HTH,
Stefaan

Guest -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (1.May2003 10:52:00 AM)

I have done all this but still cannot get clients ftp. From the ISA server It works fine, I can browse any FTP site. Any suggestions. Thanks Durga Datt ddatt@sinnottbros.com.au

Guest -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (1.May2003 10:58:00 AM)

I am also having exactly the same problem...please help !

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (1.May2003 7:35:00 PM)

Hey guys,

can you better describe your exact problem? What ISA client types do you use? What FTP client do you use?

BTW --- don't test it from ISA server itself. You should test from an internal client!

HTH,
Stefaan

Liteswitch -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (19.May2003 3:03:00 PM)

right, I have my PC's using Firewall client to connec through ISA server. The FTP application filter is enabled, and I have created a rule to allow the FTP protocol through. In the configuration of my FTP client (CuteFTP) I told it to use a Proxy server (the internal IP of my ISA) on port 21. IS this correct?

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (19.May2003 8:40:00 PM)

Hi Liteswitch,

do *not* configure the FTP client for a proxy/firewall. The Firewall client will transparently intercept the request and redirect them to the Firewall service on ISA server.

HTH,
Stefaan

GuiJah -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (20.May2003 3:58:00 PM)

hello evrybody

i'd a ISA Server running on my domain, I've configure d the protocols rules to allow FTP protocols.

The clients is a PC of the same domain which is running the FW client.

I've no problem to browse FTP site with any clients even the command line ftp, BUT I can't with IE (version 5) when i get on the site, i'm logged as an anonymous user but when my browser try to list the site, it don't work, i wait and wait and after a moment it says that it's impossible because of the timeout.

I don't understand why, help please.

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (20.May2003 7:46:00 PM)

Hi GuiJah,

check out the following articles:
- http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Issues_with_the_Internet_Explorer_FTP_Client.html
- http://www.isaserver.org/articles/How_the_FTP_protocol_Challenges_Firewall_Security.html , more specifically section 4.4. Web Proxy client.

HTH,
Stefaan

GuiJah -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.May2003 10:03:00 AM)

thanks a lot spouseele

it run without any problem.
I apologize for not having found this article before.

Liteswitch -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.May2003 11:07:00 AM)

thanks, I'll check my FTP client when I get chance, and tell it not to use a firewall/proxy. Hope it works!

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.May2003 9:07:00 PM)

Hi GuiJah,

good to hear you got it working and thanks for the follow up! [Smile]

Stefaan

spouseele -> RE: FTP Access using FW Client (21.May2003 9:09:00 PM)

Hi Liteswitch,

it should work! [Big Grin]

HTH,
Stefaan

Page: [1]