• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Could not resolve the server name

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Could not resolve the server name Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Could not resolve the server name - 18.Sep.2004 8:06:00 AM   
Blake Waycaster

Im a student at a college campus running ISA 2000 on the network and am having problems with my firewall client. When im in my dorm the client gives the error message could not resolve the server name. But when I take my computer down to the IT dept it works and connects just fine. the only difference between the two locations is an HP access security control box

So the connection from the dorm looks like this
Dorm> HPbox> Server> Internet

Now the reason we think that it will work from the IT dept office is because they are bypassing that HPbox and connecting straight to the server.

So the connection from the IT dept ooks like this
ITDept> Server> Internet

Unfourtinately the IT gusy at my school dont have time to mess with it and that leaves me trying to find a solution by myself. Can anyone offer any solution to this? After several packs of cigarets and hours spent online searching for a solution im at the end of my rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 18.Sep.2004 10:35:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi Blake,

the culprit could well be the HP access security control box. When using the Firewall client, ISA server should have a clear view on the internal network. Applying NAT or filtering between the internal clients and the ISA server will very likely break the the Remote Winsock Protocol (RWSP) used by the firewall client.

For more info, check out my article http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Understanding_the_Firewall_Client_Control_Channel.html .

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to Blake Waycaster)
Post #: 2
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 18.Sep.2004 7:35:00 PM   
Blake Waycaster

Hmmm I know that NAT is enabled and I think ICMP is disabled on the HP box as well. Short of removing the HP box is their any type of workaround for this?

Post #: 3
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 18.Sep.2004 8:43:00 PM   
Blake Waycaster

Ok so after reading the article and this one as well http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316356 . I think I understand the problem a bit better. So if I understand this correctly because of the HP box the isa server is seeing all 1500 computers on my campus as one computer?

The firewall client in not required to connect to the internet here but a few of us that would like greater access to the internet choose to use them.

Post #: 4
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 19.Sep.2004 11:43:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi Blake,

the major issue is that a lot of negotiation is happening on the Firewall client control channel and they contain IP addresses and TCP/UDP port numbers in the data payload. No NAT device I know of has a proper NAT editor for the Remote Winsock Protocol (RWSP) used by the firewall client. So, no workaround available I know of.

HTH,
Stefaan

Post #: 5
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 20.Sep.2004 4:42:00 AM   
Blake Waycaster

Man. Thats a major blow to my moral. Ohh well I might as well give up on it then. Thanks for your time.

Post #: 6
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 20.Sep.2004 4:43:00 AM   
Blake Waycaster

Ohh BTW when is ISA 2004 comming out?

Post #: 7
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 20.Sep.2004 8:26:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Blake,

ISA 2004 went RTM in july 2004. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/ for more info.

HTH,
Stefaan

Post #: 8
RE: Could not resolve the server name - 21.Sep.2004 1:19:00 AM   
Blake Waycaster

Is their any way to get this set of ports to work without the firewall client?

Star Wars Galaxies Launchpad and Patch Servers
A TCP connection is initiated from the LaunchPad client port > 1023 to patch.station.sony.com port 7000.

A UDP connection is initiated from the LaunchPad client port > 1023 to sdlaunchpad1.station.sony.com and sdlaunchpad2.station.sony.com port range 3016-3021 and 9700-9703.

Star Wars Galaxies Patch:

A TCP connection is initiated from the Star Wars Galaxies client port > 1023 to patch.starwarsgalaxies.com port 7040, 7070.

Star Wars Galaxies Client
UDP connections are initiated from the Star Wars Galaxies client port >1023 to servers on UDP ports 44453, 44462, 44463.

Additionally, ICMP messages type 0 (echo reply), 3 (unreachable), 8 (echo request) and 11 (expired) should be permitted bi-directionally between the client PC and the Star Wars Galaxies servers.

Star Wars Galaxies Servers Subnets

There are multiple IP addresses for the Patch and LaunchPad clusters, and they may change as the network demands, so check often using a DNS lookup tool if you provide a specific firewall rule for these services. The Star Wars Galaxies server IP addresses are currently in these subnets: 199.108.6.*, 199.108.7.*, 199.108.8.*, 199.108.196.*, 199.108.197.*, 199.108.198.*

Crash Logs Submission
Crash logs are sent via a TCP connection to mail.station.sony.com port 2525. Please note that there may be multiple IP addresses that reply for mail.station.sony.com.

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Could not resolve the server name Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts