The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client

spouseele -> The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (16.May2005 4:48:00 PM)

This thread is for the article The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000.

Thanks,
Stefaan

[ May 16, 2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: spouseele ]

Adzenloom -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (16.May2005 5:44:00 PM)

Nice - very nice. Well done.

Simple question: Do same reg keys work for ISA-04??

I have a similar issue (at least it has the earmarks) - different client, different host, different service. However, same behavior, same symptoms, same environment - a LOT of hits on a few servers. It seems easy enough to try the hack and see if it resolves my issue.

Thanks

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (16.May2005 6:04:00 PM)

Hi Adzenloom,

I ran the same tests on an ISA 2004 in a lab environment. As far as I can tell, ISA 2004 does *not* have the same behaviour.

HTH,
Stefaan

tshinder -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (16.May2005 7:22:00 PM)

Hi Stefaan,

Great article!

Thanks!
Tom

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (16.May2005 8:23:00 PM)

Hi Tom,

Thanks! It was really fun to discover that unexpected behaviour and find out it may explain the age-old POP3 issue.

Stefaan

AHIT -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (17.May2005 8:49:00 AM)

A truly brilliant and informative article.
Whilst never being plagued with this problem myself as I've only ever installed ISA in sites that either a) Run their own "internal" mail-server or b) ran a relatively small number of internal clients.
This does however clear up a number of posts/questions I've seen over the years.
Cheers to you! [Big Grin]
Thanks Stefaan

msabene -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (18.May2005 4:02:00 AM)

Greetings to all:
Great article. Congratulations. I had a similar problem a few months ago with a network I inherited as administrator. The internal clients were addressing the POP3 server with the public name and complained of several timeout problems. I changed the configuration and have them address the mail server with its internal FQDN and never got a timeout again. Are both things related?
Regards,
Marco.

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (18.May2005 2:18:00 PM)

Hi Ahit,

thanks for the complements! [Smile]

Stefaan

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (18.May2005 2:21:00 PM)

Hi Marco,

no, it's not the same. You should never access from an internal host the published instance of a internal service. In other words, never loopback through the ISA external interface. For more info, check out http://www.isaserver.org/articles/14120_Errors_Discussion_and_Solution.html .

HTH,
Stefaan

[ May 19, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: spouseele ]

Elizabeth -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (1.Jun.2005 7:21:00 AM)

Hi,

I have this problem after install ISA 2004.
Users cannot access mail only from Outlook Express.

I donŠt know to solve this problem.

Thank you

Elizabeth [Confused]

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (1.Jun.2005 2:32:00 PM)

Hi Elizabeth,

this article applies *only* to ISA 2000. So, I suggest you start a new topic for your specific problem.

Thanks,
Stefaan

LuizEduardo -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (25.Jul.2005 1:06:00 PM)

quote:
Originally posted by spouseele:
This thread is for the article The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000.

Thanks,
Stefaan

Hello

I have one ISA2000 (running Firewall and Cache and one DMZ (where is located the mail server)) over Win2000Server, and made the registry modification cited in the article "The mystery of the failing POP...", however, exactly thus, intermittently, we continue with POP connection problems. We perceive that some times, beyond the POP connections problem, the Cache service it also unavailable.
Some times we need to restart the Windows 2000 SRV - for not being possible to restart ISA services. When we make this, all return to works fine, as nothing had been happened and does not have nothing stranger in logs and the event logs.

Any aid will be welcome.

Regards

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (25.Jul.2005 3:54:00 PM)

Hi Luiz,

are the internal clients configured as Firewall or SecureNAT clients? Remember that the issue described in my article happens *only* with Firewall clients, *not* SecureNAT clients.

HTH,
Stefaan

CeYHuN -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (31.Jul.2005 7:53:00 AM)

Hi..
I am using 2003 serv / isa 2000
When clients try to use outlook connection lost and give a warning "isa server inaccessible"

when I looked registry at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FwSrv\Parameters
I saw only installroot reg_sz..
I did your suggestion but still cant solve this..

Please help me its very big problem.. My company cant live without mail.

CeYHuN -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (1.Aug.2005 4:35:00 AM)

will I Re-install isa 2000 ?

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (1.Aug.2005 2:51:00 PM)

Hi CeYHuN,

did you first verify that your issue is indeed what is described in my article? Can you proof it with a netmon trace?

Also, if the regkey isn't there, create it and if it is the same issue, the problem should be solved. Of course, don't forget to restart the Firewall service. [Wink]

HTH,
Stefaan

[ August 01, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: spouseele ]

Guest -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (30.Aug.2005 7:24:00 PM)

I have only 6 clients accessing external POP3 server, and timeout happen (wait for 60 secs) in about 15% of tryouts.

But this error always happen when message have attachment (even small .txt file with smaller than 1K).

I have tried adding this key to reguistry, but it doesn't solved problem.

Anyone have clue what might happen?

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (1.Sep.2005 2:31:00 PM)

Hi bola,

according to your information, it doesn't sound to be the same problem as described in my article. Can you provide us a NetMon trace on the ISA internal and external interface of such an incident?

HTH,
Stefaan

vikrant1971 -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (14.Sep.2005 6:01:00 AM)

Hi ,

I am having problem in routing POP3 access through the ISA server (2000).Few dayz back this was working. Firewall clients could directly access their external POP3 servers and check their mails.
I checked the article published by you and modified the keys.Thanks a ton and really appriciate for publishing such a detailed troubleshhoting article.
However I am able to to check mails using HTTP server like hotmail.

How do I make this to work again?

--
Regards and Thanks

Vik.

spouseele -> RE: The Mystery of the failing POP3 Access with ISA 2000 (14.Sep.2005 3:45:00 PM)

Hi Vik,

if it worked before, then something must have changed. The first thing to check out is the ISA Firewall log. What's that telling you? Make sure you have enabled the logging of all fields to get the most out of it.

HTH,
Stefaan

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>