• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> SecureNAT Client >> Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients - 9.Jul.2004 12:39:00 PM   
robh

I followed Dr Shindlers article on setting up a Caching only DNS Server on my ISA Server and then moved on to set my Internal DNS Server to use this as a forwarder.

This is where I encountered a problem as the DNS Server on the Network is on a Domain Controller and is set somehow (not sure as I didn't set it up)as a root Server and therefore I can't add a forwarder any suggestions as to how I can get round it?
Post #: 1
RE: Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients - 9.Jul.2004 3:07:00 PM   
pinball

Hi robh,

The default setting for an active directory dns server is to be a root server, what you need to do is the following:

Access the DNS server and under Forward Lookup Zones, you will probably have 2 entries, one for (.) and one for your (FQDN), if you delete the entry for (.), you will then be able to configure the forwarders.

HTH.

(in reply to robh)
Post #: 2
RE: Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients - 9.Jul.2004 3:43:00 PM   
robh

Thanks worked a treat I have now setup a forwarder and I tried a ping and it seemed to resolve the name (although the ping didn't get through)

My reason is to alow an Exchange Server to send SMTP direct via DNS Lookup instead of via my ISP as a relay (any good methods of testing this?)

I'll have to try that next!

Thanks again Rob

(in reply to robh)
Post #: 3
RE: Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients - 9.Jul.2004 3:54:00 PM   
pinball

Hi rob,

good to hear you got it working. if you are wanting to test dns i prefer using nslookup, just type nslookup at the command prompt and it should default to your local dns server and then when you type in a fqdn (yahoo.co.uk for example) you should recieve the dns info for the fqdn, if the forwarder is working. [Big Grin]

the best way to test emails are going direct from exchange and not via your isp, is to set yourself up with a web based email account, and just send an email from outlook to your new account, when you recieve it, display the internet header and hopefully your isp wont be listed.

HTH.

(in reply to robh)
Post #: 4
RE: Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients - 9.Jul.2004 4:06:00 PM   
robh

Hi Pinball

I had done a lot of what you said but I'm not that familiar with nslookup but I followed what you said and it's all working a treat now mail's going direct. [Big Grin]

Thanks Very Much

[ July 09, 2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: robh ]

(in reply to robh)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> SecureNAT Client >> Configuring DNS for SecureNAT Clients Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts