• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

multiple email domains and message screener

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> multiple email domains and message screener Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
multiple email domains and message screener - 1.Dec.2001 1:50:00 AM   
abeeber

Hi Tom, and all.
I have posted exchange using the secure mail wizard, and now I want to deploy the message screener.

In your book and your web site you talk about setting up a smtp server with a remote domain on an IIS box. You then forward in bound smtp from isa to that box, which then forwards to the exchange server.

Firstly, do I modify the existing entries that allow inbound smtp to exchange; or do I run the secure mail server and publish the IIS machine, still leaving the exchange entries active. I am guess that the smtp entries for exchange will go away. But confirmation on that would be nice.

Secondly, my exchange server is resolving 4 domain names. So does that mean I have to setup 4 remote domains on my iis box have each of them forward to exchange?

Lastly, how do I configure my exchange smtp configure to route to the iis box. Is it the Relay restrictions on the Access Tab for the SMTP virtual server properties? Would I enter the ip address of the iis box?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Andrew

Post #: 1
RE: multiple email domains and message screener - 2.Dec.2001 6:57:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Andrew,

Good questions!

1. Publishing the IIS SMTP server. Do not publish the Exchange Server, since we want to isolate the Exchange Server from inbound access attempts from external network clients.

2. Create 4 remote domains and allow those domains to relay to the Exchange Server.

3. Configure the default SMTP Server to allow relay from the Exchange Server only. You might try auth for the connection, but that has caused me problems in the past. If you try it and get it to work, let me know and I'll give it another try (I try not to work too long on things that I don't know if they'll work, and I don't really need them ).

HTH,
Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

(in reply to abeeber)
Post #: 2
RE: multiple email domains and message screener - 3.Dec.2001 1:55:00 PM   
abeeber

Tom,
Thanks, I tried to put this into production and ran into problems. When I publish my exhange server. I can send and receive email.

I then deleted all the entries, and published inbound smtp rules to the IIS box, and pop3, imap4 etc to the exchange server. When i tested, it failed.

So. Do when I publish a mail server do I point everything to the IIS box even though it does not have pop3, imap4 etc on it. Note, I do use the same external dns/ip for pop3 and smtp. So do I need to seperate that out.

Help...

Andrew

(in reply to abeeber)
Post #: 3
RE: multiple email domains and message screener - 3.Dec.2001 7:21:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Andrew,

Only the SMTP Server Publishing Rule should point to the IIS SMTP server. As you said, only the Exchange Server is running POP3 and IMAP, so you'll need to point to the Exchange Server for those.

HTH,
Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

(in reply to abeeber)
Post #: 4
RE: multiple email domains and message screener - 3.Dec.2001 9:53:00 PM   
abeeber

Hi Tom,
Ok. That makes sense. So my internal dns entry for smtp will need to be change from the exchange box to the IIS box.

I also found that I did not have the check box for "allow incoming mail to be relayed to this domain", checked. Your procedure in your learning Zone had that step in the procedure, where as your book didn't.

Lucky you have this site which is coming in very handy..

Anyways, I'll change the internal address for inbound smtp rules from my exchange to the IIS box and test again.

Andrew

(in reply to abeeber)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> multiple email domains and message screener Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts