• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

routing issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> routing issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
routing issue - 28.Aug.2009 4:29:29 AM   
mrsym0r

Have a curly problem that has had me banging my head against the table for a good half day now.

We use ISA 2006 as our gateway; it has two NICS, one for internal traffic, the other connected to our internet router. Internally, we have two subnets - 10.1.12.0/24 and 192.168.58.0/24. the 192.168.58.0/24 network is accessed through a router, 10.1.12.250, which is physically connected to the same switch as our internal network adapter.

the network config on these nic's is:
INTERNAL
IP: 10.1.12.254
S/N 255.255.255.0
GW: NOTHING

EXTERNAL
S/N 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.1.253

I have added a route in ISA, and have configured the internal network in ISA to use the internal NIC so it has succesfully picked up both subnets. From the ISA box, I am able to ping/browse hosts on the remote 192.168.58.0 network. all other machines, however, are unable to do so. It almost looks as if ISA is not advertising the route to other users - if I add a route to the other machines by way of:

route add 192.168.58.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.1.12.250

they are able to access this network perfectly. Take the route away, so does their ability to access it.

Four hours of googling has led to nothing. While it is workable to add static routes to hosts that need to access this remote subnet, it doesn't strike me as very elegant. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: routing issue - 28.Aug.2009 9:52:45 AM   
pwindell

There is no advertizing.

There is no route to advertize.

You are using the wrong Default Gateway.   ISA is never to be the Default Gateway in this kind of situation.  The LAN Router is to be the Default Gateway,...it (and only it) in turn uses the ISA as the Default Gateway.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to mrsym0r)
Post #: 2
RE: routing issue - 28.Aug.2009 5:30:19 PM   
mrsym0r

ahhhhhhhh..

Please pardon my ignorance - only two sites I have ever encountered use ISA, and they have both been set up in a similar manner to the one described above.

To make things completely clear, and for the benefit of others who may read this article, I've attatched a quick n' nasty visio diagram. The one on the left is NOT the way to do it, the one on the RIGHT is the CORRECT method.... correct?

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: routing issue - 31.Aug.2009 9:37:17 AM   
pwindell

Yes the one on the right is more accurate.  Although I would use the blue round LAN symbol on both sides of the router and would not show the server box (to keep the diagram consistant).
The router would have two IP#s,..one from each IP Segment.  The router would be the Default Gateway of everything on the LAN,...the ISA in turn would be the Default Gateway of the Router

Phillip Windell

(in reply to mrsym0r)
Post #: 4
RE: routing issue - 19.Nov.2014 5:11:03 AM   
sucheta

The issue getting to your switch config page through the Ethernet, that isn't there over Wifi, sounds to me like you've detailed a static nearby IP for the Ethernet association...

UDP Acceleration

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> routing issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts