• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

wrong site being published...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> wrong site being published... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
wrong site being published... - 11.Dec.2001 5:31:00 PM   
Dave P

This is a great site you guys have, I just discovered it the other day while researching this problem I have. Let me hit you guys with it.....

My company has purchased small business server 2000 and I have been setting up ISA. Our websites are on an internal IIS server (not the sbs server) and I am having some weird problems with web publishing.

I have 14 sites all with their own public IP The IP addresses are bound to the external adaptor of ISA server. I have configured the IP's to listen on default ports on the "incoming web requests tab"

I have configured destination sets for each website. I am using the FQDN in the name,discription, and destination boxes of the set.

I have configured a web publishing rule for each set to allow incoming traffic to the specified destination sets. and under the Action Tab redirected the requests to the proper internal address (192.168.x.x)

This is in a test environment. It is setup with the external adaptor of the ISA box plugged into a hub. I have a laptop also plugged into the hub with a hosts file configured to resolve each website to the appropriate public IP on the external interface.

The problem is that I can access some of my websites without any problems, but others resolve to the website that is specified in the first web publishing rule. I contacted Microsoft about the issue q291427 and they gave me a hot fix. But after the hot fix it still resolved wrong. I restarted the box, rebuilt my destination sets, and publishing rules, and I still have the same problem. The only thing that I can think of is a dns issue but I don't think that that explains the problem of some sites working and not others. If anyone has some ideas I am all ears

Thanks

------------------
Dave Patterson
CCNA
MCP

Post #: 1
RE: wrong site being published... - 14.Dec.2001 7:10:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Dave,

This should only be a problem if you used IP addresses in your destination sets. If you used FQDNs in *all* of your Destination Sets, you should be in good shape.

HTH,
Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

(in reply to Dave P)
Post #: 2
RE: wrong site being published... - 17.Dec.2001 5:02:00 PM   
Dave P

Thanks for the reply Tom. After reading all of the great information on this site I made sure to stay away from using ip addresses in my destination sets. This is a really funny situation that I have run into. Here is a really interesting example.

I have 2 sites in particular that have me baffled. Site 1 serves both com and org. In my destination set for the site I have 2 destinations www.site.com & www.site.org and everything works correct. My site is resolved properly as com or org.

Site 2 also has a destination set with 2 destinations www.site2.com and www.site2.org. I can access the com site and the org site but, www.site2.org resolves to one of my other 14 sites. This behavior exists even when I remove the destination set,publishing rule, and listener IP address and recreate them from scratch.

It is very strange

(in reply to Dave P)
Post #: 3
RE: wrong site being published... - 18.Dec.2001 7:11:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Dave,

That is very strange! Could be the site is still in the cache. Wait for the time out to make sure its disappeared and try recreating the rule.

Let us know how it works out!

Thanks!

Tom

------------------

Get It Here!

(in reply to Dave P)
Post #: 4
RE: wrong site being published... - 20.Dec.2001 11:53:00 PM   
Dave P

Tom,

I have found a strange answer to the strange problem. Here it goes. When I setup our sites I first configured all of the listeners for all of the sites.
ip 1
ip 2
ip 3
etc..... when I was prompted to save and restart the services I chose to only save (the default choice) then after the last ip was configured I saved and restarted the services.

Then I configured all of my destination sets. Then all of my pub rules. When this was all over I stopped and restarted the services one last time. After this some of my sites were resolving wrong.......thus my original post.

Today I deleted all of my dest. sets, rules and listeners (for like the 5th time)then I recreated them one at a time in the following order......
1. Dest set
2. Rule
3. Listener with a save and service restart after each one.
I did this one site at a time for a total of 14 sites. (coms and orgs in the same destination set)

Problem solved.

Apparently the order of setup makes a very big difference. Before, I would config the listener,create the dest set them config the pub rule.

Thanks

------------------
Dave Patterson
CCNA
MCP

(in reply to Dave P)
Post #: 5
RE: wrong site being published... - 24.Dec.2001 7:58:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Dave,

Pretty interesting stuff, but I'm not surprized. I've noticed that order of execution when making certain changes makes a big difference, although I hadn't run into your situation. Great information!

Thanks for the followup!

Tom

------------------

Get It Here!

(in reply to Dave P)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> wrong site being published... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts